Rough-Hewn Servant

Smoothing out the rough little by little

The Spirit of Giving

Published by Ben under on Thursday, December 11, 2008
Upon driving to ASU this morning to meet with my Saudi Arabian conversation partners, I heard a typical comment that one would hear during the Christmas holiday season on the radio.

"....as we get into the spirit of giving this season"

I must have missed the memo again....apparently society has decided that giving is not a year-wide expression to hold on to. Alright, I'm being melodramatic but it does not diminish the fact that something is inherently wrong with the aforementioned statement. I think this points to the depressing reality that society as a whole tends to promote materialism and possessiveness.

The question I press then is "should we not be generous other times of the year?" Or is Christmas relegated to be the sole time of year to have the 'spirit of giving'?

0 remarks:

Post a Comment

 

Followers