Rough-Hewn Servant

Smoothing out the rough little by little

Expectations

Published by Ben under on Wednesday, November 26, 2008
As of lately, thoughts of the word 'expectation' has been circulating in my mind. All of us have expectations about everything. We expect other drivers on the road to drive without running into us. We expect ourselves to get hungry in the morning, around noon, and around nightfall. We even expect friends to behave or respond in a specific way. So are expectations good to have or are they a hindrance?

Yes and no.

Expectations are good to have of differently people when it comes to getting tasks done. You would not want to put someone in charge of a task for which they are not trained in or knowledgeable about. It is the complete opposite in that you want to put someone in charge of an assignment for which they are capable and competent in completing. This is great for employees and volunteers but when it comes to friends you can't place expectations on them.

I have found my self in a number of situations in which I have placed expectations on people without vocalizing them. In my case, this leads me to being upset and frustrated or just plain confused in regards to the actual reality of the situation. Not good. However, I should clarify even further that I am referring to when we hold expectations with our human (selfish) desires at the forefront. Selfishly, we want things to happen and work themselves out but only if it happens according to our wishes. I must pray against this and watch myself as I have found it is very easy for me to slip in this area and hold selfish expectations of close friends.

0 remarks:

Post a Comment

 

Followers